New MusicNews

Listen: The Black Keys’ new single “Fever”

on March 24, 2014, 1:34pm

Thanks to Mike Tyson, we learned late last week that The Black Keys will release their eighth studio album, Turn Blue, on May 13th via Nonesuch Records. Today, sans the aid of Iron Mike, the pair unveil the album’s first single, “Fever”. Listen below.

Known more for their stomping blues rock, Black Keys take their sound into the psychedelic stratosphere, adding twangy organs and tinges of ambiance to their guitar-and-drum combo. The result is more of a shot to the head than the heart, adding a new kind of nuance and playful sheen to the duo’s hard-rocking ways.

Update: According to a press release, the album spans 11 tracks and features production from Danger Mouse.  “On this record, we let the songs breathe and explored moods, textures and sounds,” Patrick Carney said in an issued statement. The album cover is posted above.

Turn Blue marks the band’s first album since 2011’s El Camino, their longest break between LPs. Since debuting in the early 2000s, The Black Keys have steadily built up a rather sizable discography, often going less than a couple of years between albums. (In fact, 2010’s Brothers preceded El Camino by less than 18 months.) After years of grinding away, the hard work paid off, as the band launched their first-ever US arena tour behind El Camino and eventually brought home three Grammys at the 2013 awards.

While they’ve maintained a steady presence with frequent festival dates, the pair’s spent much of the last couple of years exploring solo endeavors. Dan Auerbach took on more producing gigs, helming the boards for Dr. John, Lana Del Rey, Hanni El Khatib, The Growlers, and JEFF The Brotherhood, among others. Meanwhile, Patrick Carney has also dabbled in some producing, namely for Black Lips, Tennis, and The Rentals, and even hosted his own SiriusXM show.

Turn Blue Tracklist:
09. 10 Lovers
10. In Our Prime
11. Gotta Get Away

Album Cover:

Franchesca
April 27, 2014 at 7:00 pm

It is much much better to be educated about these circumstances
than to be ignorant of them. She feels threatened
by other females who may steal your interest absent from her.
Also keep in mind to use some on the outside as nicely.

We’ve Been There Before
March 25, 2014 at 12:50 am

I thought it was great and I think it will grow on me too. I’m confident they’ll have harder tracks on the album and this is an awesome track. If I remember correctly they released Gold on the Ceiling first from El Camino and that took me 3-4 listens to grow on me. Check out my review of the track along with other music reviews on my blog: http://wevebeentherebefore.blogspot.com/

goodellisruiningtheleague
March 25, 2014 at 11:44 am

wasn’t lonely boy the first single

KOB
March 24, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I am just happy that I won’t have to hear this song on every third commercial or during NFL games. I eventually came around to El Camino, but those songs were the epitome of overplayed. As a fan since I saw them at Bonnaroo 2004, I am glad that they are continuing to explore their sound. Much better than the drivel from their former parallel Kings of Leon.

March 24, 2014 at 4:51 pm

The Black Keys have been my favorite band from the beginning.. but this is just plain bad. So disappointed.

Jacob Illanne
March 24, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Oh my… this is absolutely awful. This was once my favorite band by far. So disappointed.

Adam Lubicz
March 24, 2014 at 3:10 pm

sounds like the features and the black angels a bit

March 24, 2014 at 3:06 pm

i like it

Jake
March 24, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I used to complain that all their songs sounded the same, now I want that sound back again. I admit it, I’m a hypocrite, just please make it stop…this is so so so bad.

Adam Lubicz
March 24, 2014 at 2:39 pm

This is going to grow on me. Now that The Black Keys are huge EVERYONE will have a negative first reaction.

March 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm