CoS Exclusive FeaturesFestival Coverage

Lollapalooza’s 2014 Lineup: One Day Later

on March 27, 2014, 12:00am

Lollapalooza’s 2014 lineup is a fascinating case study for music festivals in 2014. Long gone is Perry Farrell’s initial, grunge-fueled creation of the mid-90s, where Body Count inspired mosh pits and Pavement was pelted with mud balls. Now, yuppies can watch Skrillex play from the comfort of their cabanas and ambulances sit outside Perry’s, waiting for the inevitable overdose. Back in 1996, fans were critical of Lollapalooza’s booking of mainstream rock band Metallica. In 2014, Kings of Leon are playing.

Since taking up permanent residence in Chicago’s Grant Park nine years ago, Lollapalooza has embraced the idea of being America’s biggest and most corporate music festival. This year’s lineup is a reflection of instant sellouts, the rising popularity of EDM, the continued demise of rock ‘n’ roll, and the vastly barren landscape of acts still considered a unique “get”. There’s no money in booking Sleater-Kinney or The Replacements; however, the kids will come see Calvin Harris and Krewella.

Lollapalooza’s 2014 lineup is not bad, it’s just not for you. (Though, considering it’s completely sold out, maybe it is.) And more likely than not, that’ll continue to be the case for the years to come, as the festival veers more toward the path of Ultra Music Festival than Coachella. There’s still a lot to appreciate about this year’s lineup, you just have to dig a little deeper, work a little harder. But, after all, isn’t that what being a diehard is all about?

In the pages that follow, join us as we look at this year’s biggest highlights, surprises, omissions, and least interesting bookings. Feel free to share your comments below.

-Alex Young
CEO and Publisher

WhenILearnToMilkIt
March 30, 2014 at 3:11 am

hey, fu! I’d love to see Interpol

Garrett Nutgrass
March 28, 2014 at 2:33 pm

this writer sounds so butt hurt

Nissl
March 27, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Garbage lineup if for no other reason than that I’ve seen nearly all of the rock acts higher on that card at various festivals and few are any good live. All that EDM, which I get is a thing but is barely “live.” Might be the first time I’ve seen 2x rap headliners as well. If this + the Coachella lineup is basically who’s available, will this be the second year in a row I skip my local fest as well?

Can’t believe this was the fastest sellout ever, must be getting old.

Conner Reed
March 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm

i say the just get Death Grips again…their performance had more intensity and value than these acts.

Dan
March 27, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I’ve been doing my own “1 day later” analysis of the lineup, and COS’s article triggered something that I had overlooked before. I’ve been a regular at Lolla since 08′, and I can say with almost certainty that this is the weakest lineup since my days started. When I read the line, “Lollapalooza’s 2014 lineup is not bad, it’s just not for you.”, it hit me. There is a positive aspect that comes out of a lineup like this. I have never really gone to the fest for the headliners, as I’m sure most people who read this blog do either. I go for the middle tier, which is pretty solid this year in my opinion, at least not worse than the previous few years. However, some people do go for the headliners. The Green Days, Lady Gagas, Killers, etc. Well guess what, I don’t want those people there anyway. It began to trouble me a few years ago when Lollapalooza became the “thing to do” for suburban housewives and the “I’m 50 but still think I’m cool” crowd. I remember a few years back, I was standing near the back of the crowd during an afternoon set at the North Stage. In front of me were 3 moms with 3-4 kids running around them, with another in a stroller. In front of them were 4-5 young adults, lets say 19 years old, passing around a blunt. There was just something about it that irked me. When I am at a fest, I don’t want to think about the actions I’m taking because there might be a 5 year old standing next to me. For me, it is a time to let yourself be. I don’t want to be judged by a “mom”, nor do I want to watch my mouth because I don’t want to swear in front of a toddler. So while the increase in EDM might not be to my liking, I can avoid it when I want or partake when I want. I also usually associate the term bro with drunken stupidity, fights, etc. I’ve never seen anything but love coming from Perry’s and the like, so I think that term is used to loosely. I’m sure if you asked some of the original bands who played Lolla back in 91′, they would have rather had neon color wearing, drug using, dancing teenagers at their show than a soccer mom and her kid in a stroller. That’s not very punk rock.

I know all of this sounds pompous.If you think about it, while the music may have changed, the message is slowing coming back.

Cary Whitt (@CaryWhitt)
March 27, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Definitely gets weaker with every passing day. There’ no sugar coating it.

Capt Ahole
March 27, 2014 at 1:21 pm

One day later, still sucks — maybe even shittier at second glance to be honest.

March 27, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Run The Jewels play on Sunday so that are not able to open up for Outkast.

Isiah
March 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Arctic Monkeys are very boring live. They used to be awesome a few years ago, but they become one of the dullest bands in the planet.

Paul V
March 27, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Surprising omissions for me are Tokyo Police Club, Conor Oberst and Duck Sauce. I was pretty bummed yesterday, but I’m beginning to think I might not have as many conflicting sets as before, and that’s not a bad thing…

matthewdkingsley
March 27, 2014 at 12:51 pm

God you couldn’t be more right. My question is – why don’t they keep Lolla the festival it once was? After all, Chicago and other cities have EDM festivals to boast (North Coast, TomorrowWorld, Ultra), so why can’t the EDM stay within the EDM?! One could only hope.

March 27, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I couldn’t be more excited to see Run the Jewels, but your dream of a slot right before Outkast won’t happen: Outkast is Saturday, Run the Jewels are booked for Sunday. Still hoping for a Killer Mike appearance during Outkast’s set though.

Kirk Heynen (@KirkHeynen)
March 27, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I believe this is the first U.S. appearance of England’s awesome Royal Blood. That’s a pretty badass booking.

March 27, 2014 at 9:12 am

Interpol is a great set to catch mid afternoon, thank you very much Ryan Bray.

Death Grippin’
March 27, 2014 at 8:18 am

This is a pretty polarizing lineup. There a lot to like and hate all at the same time

We’ve Been There Before
March 27, 2014 at 12:21 am

I am truly disappointed. How could this lineup be this awful? I just don’t get their logic of putting it together Eminem opposite Arctic Monkeys? Outkast opposite Calvin Harris (I still don’t know who Calvin Harris is) Kings of Leon and Avett Brothers on the same day…why not space that out? And Lorde??? WTF….Check my blog to see my review of the lineup along with other music festival, concert and music reviews at: http://wevebeentherebefore.blogspot.com/

mitchell
March 27, 2014 at 1:58 pm

WHO IS CALVIN HARRIS

Nicholas
March 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm

no one wants to read your shitty blog