Prince to reissue Purple Rain for 30th anniversary, promises “veritable goldmine” of unheard music

on April 18, 2014, 9:18am

For the last few months, Prince has been teasing the release of a new full-length album titled PLECTRUMELECTRUM. Turn out that’s just one of many projects the Purple One has in store for 2014.

Today, Warner Bros. Records announced a new agreement with Prince “that will see the release of long-awaited, previously unheard music, while giving the artist ownership of the master recordings of his classic, global hits,” according to a press release. The deal also gives Warner Bros. licensing for every album released between 1978 and the 1990s.

The first release stemming from this partnership with be a digitally remastered, deluxe reissue of Prince’s seminal album Purple Rain, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this summer. Other planned projects will follow soon after, the press release adds.

(Read: Prince played a surprise show in New York City this morning. It didn’t end till 6am.)

Below, listen to Prince’s latest single, “FALLINLOVE2NITE”, featuring Zooey Deschanel.

Kil’e Jones
June 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm

My WISH IS COMING TRU.I WISHED THAT HE WOULD DO AN REMASTER OF PURPLE RAIN.YES!!! THANK YOU PRINCE!! ILL BE WAITING FOR THAT.IM FEENING FOR UNREALESED MUSIC THAT WASNT ON THE ORIGINAL ALBUM.

Calvin Gregory
May 21, 2014 at 7:31 am

I look forward to the upcoming releases. after such a long time since the last official release I feel like an addict going through withdraw. 3rdeyetunes helped but I was looking forward to a whole album or albums. so the remasters are a great way to get some of his unreleased classics as well. to the person who said they have his symbol tattooed on them. I’ve always loved that symbol. I thought when he went back to calling himself Prince that the symbol could still be used as his name. so when we’d see the symbol we’d just “pronounce” it as Prince. I understood the name change/slave stuff, and while it was odd when he would refer to himself in the third person (when he would talk about “Prince”) I still thought it was cool. Very enigmatic. I’ve been on medical leave so the new releases will definitely be good medicine

Valerie Lopez
May 20, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Best singer & performer ever. I’m proud to have his symbol & name tattooed on me!!!! Hope he comes back to Fresno

reda s miller
May 14, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I just love me sum prince!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Lisa
April 18, 2014 at 9:55 pm

This sounds like it’s going to be epic. I’ve been hoping for a re-release of some kind for Purple Rain for a looong time. Wishing they’d re-release the film to theaters for the 30th anniversary as well. And keeping fingers crossed for a tour!

Elke Hassell
April 18, 2014 at 7:15 pm

What a “Coincidence” since Sony just now announced the New MJ Album Xscape” with unreleased New Records. Is Prince/Warner running a competition with MJ/Sony?