Warpaint slams Beyoncé for hyper-sexualizing her music and image

on April 30, 2014, 5:07pm

Update: Theresa Wayman has offered an apology and says her comments were taken out of context.

While many music critics found Beyoncé’s surprise self-titled album to be an empowering, feminist-driven piece of work, psych-rock outfit Warpaint see things quite differently. In a new interview with Q Magazine, vocalist and guitarist Theresa Wayman criticized female pop stars like Queen Bey and Rihanna for unnecessarily over-sexualizing their music and public image.

“She [Rihanna] has an insane voice, she could’ve done something so much more stuble [sic] and artful,” she told Q.

Wayman then turned her eye toward the “Drunk In Love” megastar, commenting: “It just gets worse. Every song on Beyonce’s last album has her basically looking like a slut and she does not need to do that. She’s gorgeous and so fucking talented. And they all take it as women’s liberation!”

Perhaps mainstream music’s leading ladies should take a page out of Warpaint’s own “staunchly feminist, unyielding, and irreverent” self-titled sophomore LP.

Below, watch Warpaint’s video for “Disco/Very” and “Keep It Healthy”:

River
May 9, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Non-issue…like really. As if Beyonce and Rihanna have never been criticized for something like this before… Writers and interviewers really need to up their game and stop focussing on stupid shit like this and most definitely stop writing about things that have already been written about by a mass load of others.

The majority of people talking crap about this “issue” know nothing about Warpaint. Move along serious this isn’t a big deal.

Toni Boni
May 1, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Beyonce probably doesn’t even know what a Warpaint is. These ugly white bitches can take several seats and stop hating on the Queens of Pop music. Take a page from Bey and Rih’s book and MAYBE you’ll actually be relevant. I really think these girls just ruined their career (but how much of one do they really have??)

Nevermind
May 2, 2014 at 6:07 am

I think you have to define relevance here. I think Warpaint influenced a lot of new bands/artists. I think Beyonce’s songs will be played in the future. But I think that’s because the songwriter was relevant.

If you’re opinion is that an artist is relevant because they sold many records or earn lots of cash, well, there’s no point arguing. ‘Bey’ and ‘Rih’ aren’t this well known cause everybody loves them, theyre this well known because they fit in ‘the plans of a company who is selling you their stuff through radio and commercials. Most people that listen to this don’t spend enough time in searching music or developing a taste of their own. Because of that, they’re not entitled to slag other music in my opinion.

Also, what should the fact that they’re white have anything to do with this? A bit racist don’t you think? If I would have called ‘Bey’ or ‘Rih’ a black bitch, I would have been called a racist.

Melody
May 1, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Firstly, the definition of slut is, “a woman who has many sexual partners, a promiscuous woman”, Beyonce is not that she has been with Jay z for years and married. I can’t say about Rihanna. Yes, liberation IS about saying these are my choices, my life, BUT how liberated is the music industry when it came to telling both of them, they started out young, influenced, this is the style so you must dress this way? There was no need to call Bey and,Rihanna sluts, BUT they do make a valid point, why do they need to be semi nude? I know dancing and lights make it hot on stage, nothing wrong is being pretty, but you must admit, they wear short, revealing things in nearly every video. I thought feminisim in part was to say, hey we are NOT just decorative and looks, but talent and brains. Even Beyonce said once, 3 years ago in a Piers Morgan interview, “that is only appropriate for the STAGE”. Sadly, young teens/women take it and dress like it as they walk down the street, but here is,Beyonce admitting, that is for the stage, her performance. No one needs to fling prude at others or slut at Beyonce and Rihanna, but we need to say, owning your body is about being healthy, happy, flashing your breasts and legs is not what to aim for.

Ronnie
May 1, 2014 at 11:01 am

These chicks need to have a stadium full of seats.

Mia
May 1, 2014 at 10:16 am

I’m surprised at this! Warpaint label themselves feminists yet they have resorted to slut-shaming and bashing other women? So disappointed in them as I’m a massive fan.

Johnson
May 1, 2014 at 8:55 am

What if she [Beyonce] chooses to do it, you’re gonna dictate what she can do now. Stick to your own art and get out of other people’s business. If you like it GOOD, don’t like it GOOD. Just stop mouthing off!

Marc
May 2, 2014 at 5:57 am

But what if I like mouthing off. Are you going to dictate that I shouldn’t be mouthing off?

Marc
May 1, 2014 at 8:20 am

Apart from the fact that she would’ve been absolutely right if she did say it, she didn’t say it like this. I agree with posters here: If Beyonce and Rihanna want to dress like a slut, they can! They still look like sluts though in that case, you can’t disagree. I’m not a prude, but if your girlfriend walked around like that in a supermarket, you’d probably ask her to put something on. Using their bodies to sell albums cause they’re too insecure to let people judge them pure on their talent?
Talent is something that, in contrast to what other people say here, Warpaint have. If you ever watched a live show or are a musician, you know that they are gifted musicians. Plus they write their own songs.

It’s something you pop-lovers often forget. Yes, these 2 popsingers can sing, and yes they can sing better than any singer in Warpaint, but that’s all. I wouldn’t call them musicians. Plus they don’t really write their own songs. For me that’s like having wheels on a car. It’s cool and absolutely needed to drive, but without an engine, steeringwheel etc it’s not a car yet. Or in this case, real musicians. For me personally, and others, that is important.
So I agree, Rihanna is a great singer, what if she was a real artist, wrote all her own stuff and wore what SHE would like, instead of what her label thinks she should look like? That would be so much more real and interesting. For Beyonce the same, if they’re really great songs, what if she just played those great songs? Why should she rely on being half naked, when it has nothing to do with the song? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy half-naked ladies, but I don’t see it having anything to do with the music. Is that insecurity? Afraid not to sell when she is fully dressed?

So I agree. I take Warpaint seriously 1: They write their own stuff 2: They play their instruments theirself and are good 3: They dress/are just how they are. If you want to judge them, you can only judge the music. If they would walk around half-naked, twerking their instruments just to sell records, I wouldn’t respect them, simply because in that case they would try to sell records with their bodies instead of the music. Music is what should be most important. If you sing mainly about sex and banging guys, sure, being halfnaked is probably who you are. But if Beyonce supposedly writes about other stuff, why being half-naked other than to sell stuff? That’s just whoring. If Rihanna writes about s&m, well, the same (or maybe she is like that).

My point is, I know that what she said was taken out of context. But even if it wasn’t, you can’t exactly disagree right? Great musicians should not need to put the focus unnessicarily on other things than their music. If they do they have every right to be critisiced. It’s just too bad a magazine like swho Warpaint are. In the eyes of the magazine, it’s nice to see girls who really do their own stuff. And they use that as a vehicle to critisize the mainstream pop. Cause it’s such a contrast. And that is a shame. Warpaint are good people, too bad to see they’re being used like this, they don’t deserve it.

Again, you don’t have to like Warpaint, but you do have to respect them. It’s something journalist don’t do unfortunately when writing a story to score.

jane
May 1, 2014 at 10:49 am

Take your repsectablity politics elsewhere

daisy
May 1, 2014 at 1:42 am

READ HER RESPONSE: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152319640790186&id=10982025185

Q COMPLETELY TOOK EVERYTHING THERESA SAID OUT OF CONTEXT.

robbie
May 1, 2014 at 1:09 am

this is awful…what a gimmick…if you’re going to make comments like that at least have the content to back it up….just plane old bad…bad song bad video…bad article…eewww…

Poop Duder
May 1, 2014 at 12:34 am

I realize this is the exact quote from Q mag, but there is no way this wasn’t questioned right? Just curious… Was there a discussion MICHELLE GESLANI.

“She [Rihanna] has an insane voice, she could’ve done something so much more stuble and artful,” Stuble? Mispelled?

Matt Melis
May 1, 2014 at 4:30 am

Had to see the original post over at Q about that one. Yeah, apparently Beyonce coulda done something more “stuble.” But, hey, who am I to tell her she shouldn’t shave.

May 1, 2014 at 12:03 am

Only member said this, it’s not really fair to the other members of the band to say they share this view when that might not be the case…….

May 1, 2014 at 12:03 am

Only member said this, it’s not really fair to the other members of the band to say they share this view when that my not be the case…….

April 30, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Warpaint are a bunch of ugly cunts who find self worth in “feminism” because they can’t do anything else

May 1, 2014 at 11:50 am

A lot of things wrong with this comment

April 30, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Who is Beyoncé?

April 30, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Prude

John
April 30, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Who the fuck is Warpaint?

nah
April 30, 2014 at 9:47 pm

who are they?

305RealTalk
April 30, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I could give these girls the Atlantic Ocean and they would still be parched……. #unquenchable

Mike
April 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Warpaint? More like WarHATE. Haters, pure and simple.

Allison
April 30, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Um, that’s totally anti-feminist. Dissapointing.

Alex
April 30, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Women like Beyonce & Rihanna (anyone actually) can do wear whatever they like. As long as you’re dressing for yourself. There’s nothing else to it. If you wanna dress like a nun, go ahead. If you wanna wear a bedazzled thong & pasties, go ahead. Why judge people on something as simple as that? Also calling another woman a slut is very reductive…

Yung Kushy
April 30, 2014 at 6:43 pm

exactly

Adam Lubicz
April 30, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Completely agree ladies. Well said.

miranda