It’s official: Foo Fighters to release new album this fall

on May 15, 2014, 11:36am

Following months of speculation, Foo Fighters have finally confirmed details of their highly-anticipated eighth studio album. The as-yet-untitled record, serving as the follow-up to 2011′s excellent Wasting Light, will arrive in the fall through Roswell/RCA Records.

The album’s release will coincide with the airing of Dave Grohl’s new HBO TV series, which was first reported yesterday. According to a press release, the series will document Foo Fighters’ sessions in eight different cities — Chicago, Austin, Nashville, Los Angeles, Seattle, New Orleans, Washington, DC and New York — as they record the album in various legendary studios.

The press release explains: “One song was recorded in each city, every song featuring local legends sitting in, and every lyric written in an unprecedented experimental style: Dave held off on putting down words until the last day of each session, so as to be inspired by the experiences, interviews and personalities that became part of the process.

“Each episode delves into the singular regional identity of each city-how each region shaped these musicians in their formative years, and in turn the impact those people had on the cultural fabric of their hometowns-ultimately celebrating their common bond: Every artist that appears in the show, regardless of genre or locale, started as an average kid with the universal dreams of making music and making it big.”

(Read: Reasons Dave Grohl is Awesome: As Told In Photos)

The first episode of the series will premiere on the eve of the band’s 20th anniversary. Grohl himself served as director.

Additional details will be revealed in the coming weeks.

nancymac1
May 16, 2014 at 7:19 am

Day = made. :)

Sas K
May 16, 2014 at 2:59 am

I’ve been a huge Foo Fighter fan for a while. The song that hooked me was Pretender. Then I went onto discover many other cool songs like Everlong, My Hero, Walk, Rope, Best Of You, etc….

I’ve got a blog where I write about rock n’ roll. I’ve a “tag” exclusively dedicated to Foo Fighters. You guys can check it out at

I just recently wrote about their song “Walk” which my favorite from Wasting Light. Let me know what you guys think of the rock n’ roll blog if you bother checking it out.

Shelly
May 16, 2014 at 12:20 am

Thank you, Dave!!!

Tonya T
May 15, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Amazing! So much LOVE & RESPECT for the constant honor Foo Fighters bring to those that paved the way. Thank you for your true passion for music & sharing all you do with your fans!

wonderfulwizardofoz
May 15, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Reblogged this on Wonderfulwizardofoz's Blog.

Misty
May 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Come to Raleigh NC!!!!

Sally Lea & Paul Dugdale (cause he is the main man)
May 15, 2014 at 5:30 pm

and all the negative fucks can suck a cock, go watch bieber you plastic fucks

Richard Childs
May 15, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Right on, man!!

Sally Lea & Paul Dugdale (cause he is the main man)
May 15, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Bring it to London Dave, cos we fucking love you dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Brodie
May 15, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I can understand how some may not love the foo fighters, especially after there later albums, there sound has progressed into a less melodic and more hard and raging sort of sound, but for me the too fighters are one of the last great rock bands in the world I’ve grown up with there music, I have every album, every dvd , book concert ticket stub etc.. There just legendary! Sound city and back and forth were amazing, this too, will be amazing.

Chris Brodie
May 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm

*they’re

May 15, 2014 at 5:46 pm

lol. You mean **their

RM
May 15, 2014 at 5:59 pm

*their. If you’re going to correct someone, do it properly!

Spike
May 15, 2014 at 6:18 pm

The original post spelled that word wrong in two different instances. So Chris is right. He just only caught one of the mistakes. If you are going to correct someone, perhaps you should do it properly as well.

Js
May 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm

No- it’s they’re
As in they are just legendary. If you’re going to correct someone’s correction get it right haha

Faith (@RenegadeYouthIL)
May 15, 2014 at 10:25 pm

And yet none of y’all caught the misspelling on “foo fighters”

May 15, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Foo Fighters are boring, let it go, just a big marketing bubble for the stupid average rock and roll fan to consume. And Dave Grohl is sooooo annoying. I mean, dude, stop screaming go play with your kids, idk, but stop talking all the time and giving hundreds of interviews and been so demagogic, is very annoying my god…

There you have it. Now is time for you to say something about Bieber and show your terrible grammar

I’m going to Stereogum and p4k, now you keep talking about your favourite band, rockin’ daddys

May 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Just go and listen to Beiber and leave the adults to enjoy some talented musicians.

Billboard faggins
May 16, 2014 at 8:28 am

^^ anonymous guy who thinks they’re are impressing someone by “going to stereogum and p4k” – Your comment was written like a professional Pretentious douchebag who doesn’t get music – enjoy being a sheep, one that thinks they are not just because they go to internet “taste making” sites LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

May 17, 2014 at 2:48 am

Well said Billboard! Even his insults are the same recycled garbage in every post! He couldn’t even shit something original!

Jeremy Aldrich
May 15, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I’ve seen them twice n I bought the tickets for my wife the first time for her birthday . Me I was not a hard chore foo fighters fan at the time I liked their music don’t get me wrong . But after that first show Dave had me hooked like a fish . So then we went to the second so n seen them again it was kinda funny cause he had a mariatchey band opening up for him lol I know I spelled that wrong . And know I can’t wait for them too come back to ohio so I can see them again they r fucking awsome . So Dave please come and play ohio peace out ur awsome

May 15, 2014 at 4:12 pm

ANONYMOUS
MAY 16, 2014 AT 5:50 AM
What happened? I guess people just realized that trash talking a band and it’s fans instead of leaving it the fuck alone is something only ignorant assholes do. Now go away. I’m excited.

ANONYMOUS
MAY 16, 2014 AT 8:09 AM
I don’t understand the rock music community, one minute it’s:

“Man, I hate Justin Bieber and all the other shitty, unreal, emotionless, mass produced pop music. It’s not real music man, music is about emotion, mastering your instruments and playing live etc etc”

Then the next, it’s slandering bands who do just that:

“Man, Foo Fighters suck man, they’re a shitty band man, they use too many power chords man, it’s not technical enough man”

Make your minds up! It’s rock music these guys are making themselves, playing live (with 2 plus hour shows) and playing their hearts out.

It always confused me when so called rock music lovers take the piss out of rock bands… Just embrace the fact that they are making music themselves and have the skill to record their own shit and take it on the road..

I’m not a fan of death metal, screamo type music but man do I have an appreciation of the skill and technicality those guys have as a band, it’s unreal! And I’ve got a few screamo songs on the playlist, but don’t LOVE it. I just love some genres more than others but appreciate ALL genres of rock n roll!

It’s time to stop slandering fellow musicians and be open and accepting of all things rock!

Don’t hate Foo’s, hate the Bieber..

May 15, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Granted you don’t have to like every single rock song that comes out, but you know what I mean…

May 15, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Was it u that done stick it up punk it’s the dead presidents

Gregory Reagan
May 15, 2014 at 3:28 pm

These individuals who comment how”shitty” the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl are…..look–the fact is; you don’t like ‘em,and there clearly is a genre or band that you like more…fair enough. Why not?
My argument for this band is simple: Dave took what he knew as a percussionist and songwriter, from a volatile and energetic music scene with Scream…eventually a member of Nirvana (whether you agree or not, an ICONIC band for an amazing time in music’s evolution), and after tragic circumstance, pulled it together, and made an accessible band that reaches a huge demo that like hard rock and roll, all the while becoming an amazing frontman. seasoned musician, producer, and songwriter….boilerplate formula for a successful, hard-working group of guys.
Pat Smear? The man is a legend all his own from the earlier days of punk….Nate, Chris, Taylor…all good guys that love what they’re doing, while not flaunting their exceptional talent…I dig that. Dave, in my opinion, embraces music of different genres and different time periods, and perhaps that’s because he has worked with legends, (Sound City,TCV, QOTSA) and has a deep love for taking all components of the songwriting and producing process, and creating something substantial and good….and shares that with people–not just for profit, but because he, and the band LOVE ROCK MUSIC…what it does to them, and for them…and how the audience and fans react….if you have the gift, share it, man.
I love the Foo Fighters and respect Dave Grohl for these reasons, and I wish everyone could feel that way about music…ANY music…all the time.
Oh yeah, “Wasting Light” was fucking rad, man. Thanks.

May 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Yeah what you said

May 15, 2014 at 4:13 pm

What he said about what he said

May 15, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Absolutely AGREE

May 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Foo fighters are king!!!

Robbo
May 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

And he’s a decent human being, too. Counts for a lot in my book. +1 for Wasting Light, too; clever, passionate, funny, emotional, inspiring.

May 17, 2014 at 12:45 am

Absolutely!

Zed officious
May 15, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Wow…what a joke of a concept! Please tell me this is a late April fools joke. This is not how music is made. This is not what makes a definitive album! It’s a marketing ploy, it’s a gimmick…it may be the future of music as we know it.

Man. Weird after the foos make their best album in like 15 years they turn right around and do this.
Anyways, might as well give my opinion on the foo fighters’ music: too many dumb as hell chord progressions, lyrics, songs…etc. yet some of the BEST hooks ever. It’s like, how can I keep on listening to such a dumb, sappy, sentimental song, but the chorus is so epic, who cares? But, then again, the opposite always occurs. Dave’ll have an amazing, legit intro and a killer verse, killer mood and suddenly the chorus comes and it destroys the legit-ness of the chorus and turns the song into a shitty anthem instead of a real song. Wasting light has so many songs like this where I wish he’d go full badass and embrace the more hardcore version of his songwriting. It sounded like homme influenced grohl to write real songs but then halfway thru he let a teenage boy finish them off! Anyway, they’re still worth listening to even tho frustrating

May 15, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I just can’t comprehend your thought process. The problem with saying things like this is that every artist you love, or consider to be a “good writer” all defer to Dave Grohl as one of the best musicians/writers within the music industry. Josh Homme constantly praises Dave and tries to work with him for this very reason. So when you write something like this, a comment ripping the Foo Fighters, it’s difficult to take your opinion seriously. Understand, that no matter what you think, Dave Grohl has written songs that will transcend time. People will be listening to songs like, “All My Life”, “Everlong”, “Times Like These”, and “My Hero” (just to name a few), as long as human beings walk this planet. My suggestion for you would be to write music that you think is “good”. You seem to have a grasp on song structure. Show Dave the error of his ways, and give the music world something you think it deserves. And please watch this video:

Me
May 15, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Zed I remember all those classic albums you were involved with. Now that’s how to write a song. Good job, can’t wait for your next album. Maybe afterwards you can tell other people how to master their craft. We anxiously await more insight

May 15, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Sooo, where’s your Grammy Zed??? Until you have one on your shelf, please keep all opinions about good Rock n Roll that comes complete with a 3 hour, in your face, blow the roof off of the joint show, to your narrow little minded self. Good day!

May 18, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Zed you moron. As if you have any credit whatsoever to rip on another artist. Go away

Nickels
May 15, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I smell a tour in the making…..nice!!!!

RATABARY
May 15, 2014 at 2:53 pm

filete!! veamos que maestria musical no entregaran
esta vez :)

May 15, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Love yous xx

May 15, 2014 at 2:38 pm

ohhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhh

Angie
May 15, 2014 at 2:36 pm

That’s epic guys… but now on a serious note.. when are you coming to SA!!??

laura
May 15, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Los amoooo!

Andrew
May 15, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Wooo Hoooooooo !!!!!! You guys ROCK !!!! That is all. Thank you.

Casey Beatty
May 15, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Please please please go on tour! I want to see you guys live, my wife saw you at the Salem armory back in ’95 ’96 and said it was epic. That place only holds like 1500 people. I want my turn

May 15, 2014 at 2:12 pm

you think the Foo’s are shit then what are you doing on a site that’s promoting the new album, if you don’t like don’t listen to it, don’t be on here chatting shit like a prick. Simple

Mike Freeze
May 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Reblogged this on Michael Freeze.

May 15, 2014 at 1:50 pm

When?

May 15, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Did you not read “this fall” or

May 15, 2014 at 1:45 pm

This is going to be some really great shit.

May 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Awesome! and the Foo Fighters are not a shitty band! Stop being so jaded when it comes to music.

May 15, 2014 at 11:56 am

Shit I miss days when we all agreed this was a shitty band and mocked them

could you tell me what the hell happened? cause now they’re even shittier than then

May 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I guess its because they’re not shitty

May 15, 2014 at 12:27 pm

No… No… I’m done I’m so done

May 15, 2014 at 1:50 pm

May 15, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I don’t understand the rock music community, one minute it’s:

Then the next, it’s slandering bands who do just that:

Don’t hate Foo’s, hate the Bieber..

Andrew
May 15, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Are you fucking retarded ? You must be one of those ” If Nirvana didn’t then Dave Grohl wouldn’t of Blah Blah Blah ” Go jump off the nearest bridge you fool !

May 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm

yeah Bieber is bad everyone already know that guys, you’re the most cliche rock fans ever idk what are you doing here

I mean this site used to be to talk about interesting music while boring people like you listen to this overeacted shitty stadium rock bands

WHAT DID YOU DO MICHAEL ROFFMAN?

May 15, 2014 at 8:10 pm

So, let me guess. You’d tell me your favorite bands, but I’ve probably never heard of them? Also, you only listen to artists on independent labels? Haven’t had their music featured in films or commercials? Haven’t played any major festival or mass toured? And especially haven’t received and radio play? And if ANY of the above criteria is broken you abandon them because their “too mainstream” or “sold out”?

May 15, 2014 at 8:43 pm

My all time favourite is The Velvet Underground, there’s plenty of bands that I love that you might never heard of, but that’s probably because of your ignorance and not because I am what you’d like to pretend I am, I don’t give a shit about the label an artist is signed to, I don’t care if a song is used in a commercial, I go to major festivals all the time and the Foo Fighters are a fucking joke. And their fans are as stupid as you can read in this comments.

now you say something like “go listen to bieber”. Go take care of your kid, moron

May 17, 2014 at 2:43 am

It’s rather clear you have no right to be accusing someone of ignorance! Actually, I don’t have children. Solely because they’d have to grow up in a world with pseudo-intellectuals such as yourself. A joke?!?! The only joke is your musical opinion! You have clearly voided your musical credibility, and proved your lack of intelligence by sighting The Velvet Underground as your “all time favorite band”. Horrible!!! Before you go off on the legend of Lou Reed, I like Reed, Anyone who could create while being that hard on the spike deserves a medal! The only one who is pretending is you! I pity you. Pretending not to give a shit, to be so interesting and weird. “Liking” shit for the sole fact nobody else does. So you can say you were into them before they were cool. Trying to be an individual first rather than be yourself. Spreading your cynical hate with no respect for anything or anyone. The sad thing is you don’t even realize what you’ve become! A) Just like everyone else. B) The bane of modern society. Shouldn’t you be on some website nobody’s ever heard of buying mustache wax and ironic t-shirts whilst sipping Pabst Blue Ribbon? And lastly, I would never tell anybody to “go listen to beiber”. NOBODY deserves that kind of punishment man.

May 15, 2014 at 11:54 am

Shit I miss the days when we all agreed that this was a shitty band and mocked them

Could you tell me what the hell happened? cause now they’re even shittier than then

Chad
May 15, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I can explain it, you have shit for brains if you don’t think wasting light was one of the best rock albums put out in the last decade.

So yeah, you have shit for brains…

May 15, 2014 at 1:41 pm

You go Chad! Completely agree!

May 15, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Thank you. Look Foo, queens of the stone age, muse…..there are only a few good bands out there….to say foo fighters are bad…..That’s like saying both the beatles and rolling stones are bad…It is just ignorant

May 15, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Shouldn’t you get back to listening to Nickelback and Justin Beiber?

May 15, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Suck A DICK! foo fighters, last great band of the nineties. and possibly ever.

May 15, 2014 at 8:18 pm

By “the days” are you referring to junior high? When everyone agreed and never expressed their own opinion? Probably because they were terrified of being mocked by a dipshit like you?