EMS personnel were on standby at the venue, but suddenly became “overwhelmed” by the number of sick attendees within the estimated 20,000-plus crowd. Initial reports indicated that several patients had overdosed on drugs or alcohol. Of the hospitalized, 10 arrived before Avicii even took the stage.
As CTV News reports, five individuals were listed in serious condition, but are expected to make full recoveries. “Unfortunately we have a few kids…excessive alcohol and partying and they can’t handle it,” EMS commander Peter Rotolo told CP24. “There’s a lot of people here and a few don’t spoil it for the rest.”
At least one person has since been arrested on drug charges.
Already, the news is stirring up waves within Toronto’s local government. On Sunday morning, Toronto city counselor Giorgio Mammoliti said he blamed the show’s promoter, Ink Entertainment, for the illnesses because of their insistence on organizing all-ages show.
“This only proves that it doesn’t matter whether these events are held on privately owned or government lands, they are dangerous events to hold as ‘all-ages,’ allowing kids to be present,” he said in a press release. Mammoliti also blamed parents, adding, “They say it takes a village to raise a child and, as a member of that village, I want to stop the irresponsible decisions made by other parents.”
Mammoliti is currently looking to bill Ink Entertainment for the EMS charges for each of the hospitalizations.
This latest EDM-related controversy comes just weeks after Miami’s Ultra Music Festival was nearly shut down following the trampling of a security guard. In addition, 76 festival-goers were arrested, 28 of them for felonies, and 118 others were treated by paramedics.