Nicki Minaj mocks Iggy Azalea, accuses her of not writing her own music

on June 30, 2014, 12:12am

Iggy Azalea has taken hip-hop by storm over the last year, making history with a pair of chart-topping singles and impressive live performances. But not everyone is a fan. Nicki Minaj recently took umbrage with a Forbes article declaring Azalea the new face of hip-hop, and she again made her opinion known during the BET Awards on Sunday.

During Azalea’s performance, Minaj was caught on camera appearing to mock her with dance moves and poses similar to those featured in Azalea’s “Fancy”. Then, after beating out Azalea to win Best Female Hip-Hop Artist, Minaj declared, “When Nicki Minaj spits, Nicki Minaj wrote it,” insinuating that Azalea does not write her own music. She later added, “I hope and pray that BET continues to honor authenticity.”

Watch video of the two moments below. Something tells me this is only the beginning of their feud.

Kamaria
July 1, 2014 at 12:47 am

People need to realize the rap game is a competition. If you want to stay at the top you don’t promote new comers and welcome them to the family, you might want to talk trash not necessarily to put them down but to show your on top.
Btw Nicki isn’t lazy. Are you talking about the same Nicki who recently put out an album with YM and has the hit song “pills and potions”?
But what do I know I’m only 12

Agent 99
July 1, 2014 at 12:07 am

They have nothing to bite from because I haven’t promoted anything that’s why she is so guilty and talking shit but I’m gonna drop a single to start some real shit real soon Agent 99 the realest

OHJN
July 2, 2014 at 1:03 am

you know your name looks awfully familiar

Agent 99
July 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Yas and I promise when I drop my mixtape everybody will know she bit
My style and the battle will began
Agent 99 lives but I’m underground
4life

jay
June 30, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Nicki made herself look like a jealous insecure fool. If she wasn’t sge wouldn’t feel the need. If you have to put soneone down to make yourself look good, you are feeling really low

Vercetti
July 4, 2014 at 12:36 pm

No, if you write hip-hop music, then you understand. Lyrics are (were) the essential element. If you don’t write your own lyrics, then your act is strictly aesthetic (no authenticity). Nicki just made it clear. Obviously others agree or Iggy would have gotten the award.

Layla Riley
June 30, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Uh , my opinion on nikis comment is that it wasn’t called for at all ! Iggy writes her own music ad Niki is just full of her bull shit ! Like damn come on … Iggy is amazing and so is Niki ! Don’t be salty just because another great artist has come and took your shine hunny ! It’s called business , people try there best to make it to the top and when they do it’s always haters bringing them down ! Sit down sweetheart because apparently you are jut Kepler of Iggy 😒👌 I’m out

xcacai
July 2, 2014 at 3:48 pm

PREACH!!!

Nisira
July 5, 2014 at 9:38 pm

thank you for telling what eeds to be said cause obviously nicki just has to it her ass down and shut the hell up people try every day to o their best you gon come right into that in the fact to bring them down now that’s just cold and dosent make no sense right there next time nicki wanna talk shit she could look her self in the mirror and have something to talk about cuz now like everyones talking about the jealousy and beef first she had beef with the queen of rap lil kim now you just showing that what you did to lil kim you have no lesson to be learned to after what you now did to iggy I mean its just now messed im no hatin or anything but im saying the truth.

Imani
June 30, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Nikki minaj earned it she has worked hard to be on Top and didnt she just come out with a new song how is she lazy and I feel like thats true why get a reward for songs you didnt even write that sound lazy to me iggy didnt deny the fact so it must be true

Adriana
June 30, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I checked on Wikipedia, she is Amythest Kelly, AKA Iggy Azalea is credited on every single song on both her albums. No one can prove she doesn’t write her rhymes so why argue it? Besides, Nicki reeks of jealousy coz she never had a #1 single…Iggy has a #1 for five weeks. Also, if Nicki wants to talk authentic, she needs to realize Starships is as pop as it gets with barely any rapping…also with the skin bleaching, Gaga wigs, fake ass, shitty attitude, its no wonder people like Iggy more, she’s nice and not a rude bitch. Lastly, for Nicki to call her new album the Pink Print as if she invented the female rap game just pissed me off. What about Lauren Hill, Missy Elliott, Lil Kim, Lady of Rage, Eve, Trina, Da Brat, Lisa Left Eye, etc. Nicki ain’t laying the blue print for anyone.

The Truther
June 30, 2014 at 5:12 pm

If Iggy writes her own lyrics, then that comment wasn’t for her now was it? Nikki has way more accolades under her belt than Iggy does. A good song on the top #1 charts doesn’t necessarily make her a threat. Did people get pissed at Hov (Naz excluded) for making the blue print? It’s a album title… let it go. Lastly, what do you know of Nikki Minaj? When I met her in Trinidad she was nice and sweet, sexy. Why are you being so rude and disrespectful hiding behind a message board?

Agent 99
June 30, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Little do anybody know I’m from the west coast been in the rap game since the early 90s and Nikki Minaj bit my style of rapping Agent 99 I was a underground artist selling alot if units unsigned and I decided to let the world hear my songs I wrote to get my credit or I’m willing to sell my songs to Iggy real talk I’m the Westest

-_-
June 30, 2014 at 2:20 pm

No there’s not. They may have black toy dolls but they sure as Hell don’t have any black ‘Barbies’, because people would cry racism.

trm
June 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Nikki Minaj may write her own songs, but what has she even put out recently that got her this award?? She’s l-a-z-y.

-_-
June 30, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I love how everyone’s so quick to point out how Iggy is ‘trying to be black’, and yet no one brings up the fact that Nicki has spent all her years on top ‘trying to be white’. I mean Barbie, really? And all the Lady Gaga knock offs she be flaunting around with that annoying ass British rap accent of hers… Not to mention with that ass, she ain’t got no right to be claiming ‘authenticity’ of anything.

June 30, 2014 at 1:59 pm

There are black babies made so how you feel ! Not just white ones

k Avery
June 30, 2014 at 2:51 pm

First off you can’t act a color nor race every nationality had the sane issues n people you’re hid classy ghetto attitude whatever. It all depends on we’re your re brought up. Iggy n nicki are wonderful. There are colored Barbie dolls. N two your right nicki might not have put much out but she had n have been workn on q movie. I hate female rao beef. Nothing’s new under the sun. No one’s stealing any style of anyone’s. So stop comparing they should b both do music together . N nicki needs to Get over there being a new rapper. Everyone comes n goes. She knows what it’s like being a star coming up. Shouldn’t be being should be creating an emperor together that’s why they’re aren’t many women cause they’re always beefn . Dint really see the guys doing it

Kay
July 19, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Without a doubt iggy sucks. I heard her story where they say prior before the music industry ignored her and obviously it’s because her sound sucks seriously. I think since most of her fans are young white kids and she seem to have an audience there, she was then signed because she could benefit in making her record label some money, so they took the chance. Now the radio has her songs playing on the radio repeatedly and they use it as a way to get people to like her music and afterawhile that technique seems to lure people into the music.

Anyway it’s Nikki Minaj all the way, honestly i think that alot of people saying iggy sucks know talent and i listen to alot of different genres of music and all different sounds and if she was dope i would honestly admit it myself. I know the music industry have the advantage of finding someone who sounds authentic when they rap and also there are those who’s the whole package who could dance as well and look good, but she’s missing somethings, she’s not the most attractive and the sound is important and i don’t think iggy is gonna last in music. Maybe she should be an actress or something or try modeling, she has the model figure.

Imani
June 30, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Actually they are and how is she acting white by calling herself a barbie she still on top off iggy

mel
July 11, 2014 at 10:47 pm

ACTUALLY Iggy has been on billboards #1 spot for over a month, and Nicki has never made it yet to the #1 spot, what does that tell you? Iggy is on top of Nicki and Nicki can’t stand it. And at least Iggy’s ass boobs and hair are real while Nicki’s butt, boobs, nose, and hair are fake.

June 30, 2014 at 11:25 am

Holy Christ. These are precisely the sort of comments you get when you post shit articles like this.. I feel like over the past year this whole site has become your personal TMZ audition.

AyeChad
June 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

even if Nikki was shooting at Iggy what’s the big deal. That’s how the hood awards have always been. No one cried about the death row and bad boy beef way back when. Snoop straight called some fools out. also keep in mind that Jay Z came out with Magna Carta Holy Grail, then Kanye came out with us this.Eminem murdered both of those albums with one song, rap God. The reason no one made a big deal about that is because Eminem is white and he is the best rapper alive some just can’t stomach it. What would it have been if Iggy had won that award? T.I. writes her material. It wouldn’t have been deserved.

AyeChad
June 30, 2014 at 11:43 am

even if Nikki was shooting at Iggy what’s the big deal. That’s how the hood awards have always been. No one cried about the death row and bad boy beef way back when. Snoop straight called some fools out. also keep in mind that Jay Z came out with Magna Carta Holy Grail, then Kanye came out with YEEZUS.Eminem murdered both of those albums with one song, rap God. The reason no one made a big deal about that is because Eminem is white and he is the best rapper alive some just can’t stomach it. What would it have been if Iggy had won that award? T.I. writes her material. It wouldn’t have been deserved.

June 30, 2014 at 1:24 pm

lol ur just dumb

blipster
June 30, 2014 at 10:25 am

nicki minaj shouldn’t take credit for the “music’ she writes

Wednesday Lee
June 30, 2014 at 8:43 am

Why do it always have to be a competition between female rappers, why can’t they both just do they job and rap. They should be embracing each other instead of throwing hits at each other ( If that’s what Nicki Minaj was really doing). If they want this culture to support a career that is “male driven” then they should be supporting one another instead of throwing dirt. That’s just my opinion though. Yes Nicki has been in the game longer and have more experience, But I like both of them and I would like to see more of what Iggy got going on too.

June 30, 2014 at 10:12 am

I totally agree. That was very unclassy of Nicki.

k Avery
June 30, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I agree thank God someone else thinks the same

Ashleigh (@AshSRRodriguez)
June 30, 2014 at 8:12 am

y’all hating on Nicki need to fall the fuck back, she’s simply stating that she wrotes her own lyrics whereas someone like Iggy who DOESN’T shouldn’t now be credited as “the new face of hip hop”. Hip Hop was a way for artist to talk about their life and issues straight from the heart, by having somene else have to write your lyrics for you its like you’re falsifying your identity. yeah Iggy is a new female rapper out and she’s good for a ‘white chick’ but that doesn’t mean she’s suddenly better than Nicki or anyone else in the rap game, everyone else had to make a name for themselves in the game, they just feel she got an easy ride

Mars
June 30, 2014 at 9:49 am

I just think it’s ironic that her best ever verse (from “monster”) was written by Kanye himself. She’s full of shit calling someone else out.

jupiter
June 30, 2014 at 10:31 am

why is she credited on the song then?

June 30, 2014 at 1:24 pm

because she raps on the song…?

BronxBorn
June 30, 2014 at 10:13 am

“she’s good for a ‘white chick’”

I’m not a big Iggy fan, but white or black never came into the equation. You’re obviously too young to have a clue about hip hop history. But I digress.

About an easy ride…there’s no such thing. Perhaps some had it easier than others…but its all an uphill grind, especially when you have other artists gunning for you – and people automatically dismissing you based on ethnicity and skin color.

Alysia
June 30, 2014 at 11:25 am

Im not sure I like your term for a white chick ?? Theirs a lot of white guy rappers and no shade so why throw shade at iggy ?? She does write some maybe not all ? This isn’t about race hunny ! So stfu with the comments okay !

June 30, 2014 at 7:00 am

Okay So I might not know anything about iggy and nikki’s relationship, but I think it’s crazy how everyone else automatically assumes that Nicki was talking about iggy when she gave her speach. She said no names, but the fact that everyone jumped to a conclusion that it was iggy she directed that too, just says something. personally I think she directed that towards anyone in the rap industry that is unoriginal and/or using a ghost writer. I’m lost to why everyone is stirring up a pot about this. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I’m not really sold that, that Nicki directed those few moments of shade exactly towards iggy. Don’t eat up everything an article Is trying cook up. There is no solid proof that nicki was or was not talking about iggy nor is there any proof that there is any fued.

June 30, 2014 at 11:25 am

Awwlready.

JL
June 30, 2014 at 6:18 am

jealous, and threatened.. grow up, Nicki, and act like an adult, not a ten yr old on the playground.. act like youve been there before!!!

TrueHipHop
June 30, 2014 at 6:09 am

Nicki was only speaking truth. Just like y’all want your country back, true hip hop artists want the soul of hip hop back.

__kitty_kat
June 30, 2014 at 7:34 am

Artist like Nicki and Wayne sold the soul of hip hop. I’d rather listen to Iggy then that trick any day. She’s just mad because Iggy has a real accent. You and Nicki need to take a seat…

Klara
June 30, 2014 at 5:03 am

What has become of our society when a person ‘wins’ an award and does not ‘accept it graciously’. When you throw ‘shade’ at someone (even if it is ‘implicitly’) you are making yourself ‘worse off’ than the person you are throwing ‘shade’ too. Small actions like this create a world full of more negativity than what is needed. It’s things such as this that make me ‘worrying for the future of humanity.’

June 30, 2014 at 4:26 am

Alright people speaking Iggy gold Never been broke glance some pictures sweetie dressing like Nicki Iggy gotta change That style cause couldent Picture This cracker Nicki minaj

June 30, 2014 at 4:14 am

wow nikki stepped in? lol T.I. can save iggy from banks but I think he’d better avoid fucking with the young money team

#BETAWARDS #BESTGROUP

100
June 30, 2014 at 3:27 am

WTF is Nikki mad for?? She hasn’t had competition because SHE HAS BEEN THE ONLY RAPPER ?!! Look who they had going against her. SHE HAD EVE…EVE HASNT DONE ANYTHING IN YEARS!!!! Angel Haze is underrated. Iggy is her only competition and Iggy can give her some go. She’s won the last couple years because she was litterally the only female rapper (known).

100
June 30, 2014 at 3:29 am

I forgot they also had Charli Baltimore -__-

DaGuttaOne
June 30, 2014 at 3:00 am

Critics who critique are always criticized because Assumptions take precedent over factual knowledge.
1st-not so long ago nikki was being criticized for the same things as iggy and I do mean all
2nd-we use the race card so much that its really overrated, BET isn’t black owned, bob johnson sold it, lets speak facts
3rd-ppl who are afraid of competition will be quick to speak negative of the opposition instead of letting the craft speak for itself
4th-everyone has a history, a past, iggy no different then us all. We quick to judge but look at your reflection and judge that person first, damn characters who live through the lives of others
5th-having the #1 and #2 song prob had alot more ppl mad except the Beatles
6th-rap beefs are boring, a watered down profession now….everybody is a sell out – food4thought

lillz
June 30, 2014 at 2:28 am

Iggy is good shes a new talant nikki is amazing still but she gotta step it up if she wanna stay at the top more female rappers will take over soon aswell thats the music industry gotta keep on top

Alan Martinez
June 30, 2014 at 2:14 am

Boo, boo you shouldn’t had said nothing let your music do the talking keep it classy boo both of them are talent. Xo to them both.

June 30, 2014 at 2:01 am

Iggy is the new eminem of female hip hop …nikki is threatened

June 30, 2014 at 4:59 am

Iggy is not the new of shit.. Especially if your going to compare her with Emineim.. She fucking suck, and is not as talented as #Emineim #keepdreaming

TrueHipHop
June 30, 2014 at 6:12 am

Liz
June 30, 2014 at 1:59 am

I haven’t fucked with Iggy since she used the N word and didn’t even have the grace to apologize, so I’m all for Nicki taking her down a few pegs

Miaa
June 30, 2014 at 3:38 am

Liz you can shut your wack ass up because you sound like a corny ass person who stuck on history we won’t ever get over this racist shit if ignorant people don’t stop trynna bring up bullshit accusations up. The fuck anybody can use the n word nowadays people not even in the United States can say it sadly the wors has been made into a part of speech in certain regions.

jstyle211
June 30, 2014 at 4:24 am

Mia you sound like a typical dumbass! The N word should not be tolerated by whites EVER! We HAVE NOT GOTTEN OVER this race shit. Read the news you stupid dipshit. White racism is on the rise everywhere in this country. It’s not living in the past dummy it’s the present. None of us should be using the word… Even us blacks! But idiots giving whites a pass annoys the hell out me. If they say it in one context then tomorrow they will be calling all us the n-word and worse. Words do hurt and they can lead to real world actions that are worse. So go aheD you let your friends say the n- word. I guarantee they are calling you that and more the moment your back is turned.

Are You For Real?
June 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

If words ‘hurt’ so much, why’d you call her a dumbass? (Roll my damn eyes!)

Sydni
June 30, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Uh when did she use the N word? In what song?! Cause I’m pretty sure she never has…

Full_Service
June 30, 2014 at 1:28 am

Nicki must feel threaten by Iggy to even bring up her name. It doesn’t matter if she writes her own lyrics or not, that is a common practice in the industry. Nicki wants to be the only female rapper at the top period. Have you ever witnessed this woman do a collaboration with any other female rapper? Don’t hold your breath because it’s not going to take place anytime soon. Iggy will be the death of her reign when white America sees her trying to embarrass this woman on a black award show on a black network. Watch how the tides turn when white teens who actually buy music turn on you. smh

June 30, 2014 at 2:16 am

You are so full of shit. It would take you about 5 seconds to find collaborations she’s done with other female artists on Youtube.

Miaa
June 30, 2014 at 3:33 am

Oh & you anonymous person your a dumbass because Trina & Missy Elliot are female rappers and you don’t see her trynna do a colab with them & they are way above her in the industry. Shes intimidated clearly because Iggy music hitting the top of the music list & her shit still the same. Look who Iggy is signed with GRAND HUSTLE & they represent authentic music. Don’t nobody write T.I music so Nicki need to give credit where its due instead of being intimidated & trynna throw somebody under the bus INDIRECTLY using false accusations cause wayne most definatelty wrote some of her shit.

Ted
June 30, 2014 at 8:09 am

She and trina did a song called dang a lang and also 5 star chick

me
June 30, 2014 at 2:28 am

Threatened, I doubt it. Annoyed maybe. Nicki isn’t the only one annoyed at this. It has more to do with inauthenticity and the appropriation that Iggy so constantly reminds us of. If you are going to be the face of a genre you are just taking part in and didn’t originate, the least you can do is flow in your own style, not highjack a Southern American accent when you clearly come from Australia and aren’t about that life. I could go on and on but Iggy is just an example of what has happened to A.A. music/art from the jump. It’s nothing new, but still quite annoying and a slap in the face.

Miaa
June 30, 2014 at 3:14 am

Wrong because Iggy was a model & songwriter before she even became a Rapper for Grand Hustle so know your facts.She distibuted her talent to T.I and he even did an interview on the issue of her becoming a female rap artist.

Miaa
June 30, 2014 at 3:26 am

Oh & another thing you sound dumb because there are black people in Australia if you really knew hiphop you would know when she raps shes showing homage to male rappers from the 80′s like Nas. You ain’t about that life to be speaking on a topic you cearly have no knowledge on which is hiphop. With that being said have several seats cause the last time i checked im pretty sure your paychecks look like change to Iggy or anybody with Grand Hustle cause they are an authentic music group

A-Omega
June 30, 2014 at 1:27 am

Here’s the article exposing Iggy

A-Omega
June 30, 2014 at 1:26 am

Like Nikki, Iggy is just the latest satanic rapper. Here she gets exposed for her influence.

Gordon
June 30, 2014 at 1:10 am

I think Iggy might have said something backstage! It wouldn’t be a surprise, because she talked bad about Lorde in an artcle for no apparent reason. Nicki is tired of people not giving her credit, and throwing salt on her name….Playtime is OVER!!!

Miaa
June 30, 2014 at 3:21 am

Nicki is clearly intimidated by Iggy. And she has the nerve to say everything she spits she wrote because when she first came out with YMCMB wayne & drake wrote her lyrics all she did was add her signature shit in and that was it.

-_-
June 30, 2014 at 1:38 pm

She didn’t mock Lorde. She raised this point:

“Nothing against her, but I think
when you’re doing a tribute to
someone that’s dead, generally
it should be the person’s peer,”
she told Billboard. “Lorde is not
Kurt Cobain’s peer. No matter if
she killed the performance or
not, I just don’t think it’s
appropriate.”

July 1, 2014 at 6:20 pm

U dnt see halle berry or kerry washington thrwing shade at lupita nyongo’s way…just cz she is d new kid on d block. Nicki grw d fuck up

DumbAlex
June 30, 2014 at 12:39 am

Bogus article if she doesn’t mention her name. Fake wanna-be rapper from Australia deserves no award anyways.

Miaa
June 30, 2014 at 3:17 am

Know your facts hunny because i believe the award was for BEST FEMALE HIP HOP ARTIST not Best Up & Coming Female HipHop artist you dumbass.

June 30, 2014 at 4:20 pm

First of all she said no names every body is just assuming she talking about iggy. She just said she writes her own shit. damn get over it.

kt
July 1, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Let’s be serious, Iggy has #1 single because she is white. Her music is suddenly being played EVERYWHERE. She didn’t even have to put out mixtape after mixtape. She just got on a song and was received with open arms. Nicki has made better songs, more popular songs but will never gain similar success because of skin color.

Someone mentioned Eminem, they play his music on rock and country stations. you would never hear Tupac or Biggie played on those stations but Eminem is welcomed with open arms. It’s facts…so Nicki went at her head, probably there’s some spite behind it…because Iggy is being given the crown without putting in the work other artists have had to do.

-_-
July 4, 2014 at 10:40 am

Where the hell do you get your information from?

Iggy has released several mixtapes since she arrived broke in Miami at sixteen, with barely enough money to last a week, though she endured because she simply wanted to be closer to Hip Hop culture – which unlike Nicki is a subject she actually knows history and pays repeat to. The reason Grand Hustle took her under their wings was because her YouTube videos got her noticed. And they saw a lot of potential in her, it had nothing to do with her skin or how hard she’s ‘not’ struggled. (Even though she grew up in a low income family, she had an absent father, she was bullied in school severely from a young age, and has had to work 3 jobs to fund her ticket to get America in the first place. Her parents didn’t have money to feed her whilst she was half way across the world, so between trying to make it big she was working illegally, for meager dollars cleaning peoples home for just food.)

She could have taken the easy way out and signed with Grand Hustle straight off the bat like Nicki did with Young Money, but she chose not to because she wanted to establish herself in the industry with gigs that didn’t pay much, and waited until a bigger record label offered her a deal because then she’d know she had earned her keep.