Prince marks 30th anniversary of Purple Rain with surprise concert

on June 29, 2014, 12:08pm

Photo by Jeremy Larson

This week marked the 30th anniversary of Prince’s seminal album/film, Purple Rain. Last night, he celebrated the occasion with a surprise concert at his Paisley Park estate outside Minneapolis. In attendance was the film’s co-star, Apollonia Kotero, who was visiting Paisley Park for the first time. She was treated to an eight-song performance, which included “Endorphinmachine” and “She’s Always in My Hair’. Prince has since shared an audio recording, which you can hear below.

Apollonia wrote about the evening on her Facebook page:

4:42 A.M. in Minneapolis , just had a private concert by Prince and 3rdEyeGirl at Paisley Park….Ida on Bass , Donna on Guitar and Hannah on Drums. They play loud and HARD. Heard new music that was dope! He had a cool chair for me on the stage at his side and I sat there transfixed on every note, every move, every vocal. After every song I yelled and clapped my ass off. It was so amazing it made me sweat. These ladies are so talented and beautiful. I was charmed. And Prince….my heart still skip’s a beat. Paisley Park is a fun place. He showed me all my images painted on the walls. “Hey thats me!!!” I said , he just laughed in that cool way he that does. The biggest room will be The Purple Rain room….he will have us painted there, huge murals. “My big head gonna be up there?” He just laughed and laughed.

In related news, Prince has announced plans for a deluxe reissue of Purple Rain, due out later this year.

(Read: Comedy Bang Bang’s Scott Aukerman Dusts Off Prince’s Batman

Kristen Chapman Gibbons
June 30, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Reblogged this on Big Blue Dot Y'all.

Victoria Lehman
June 30, 2014 at 3:31 am

Purple Rain was also an important social artifact 30 years ago, for those of us working for the protection of abused women and children. It was one of the first movies in popular culture to confront the complexities and damage of intimate partner violence and the Family. It continues to have currency. Thank you for the music, and thank you for your efforts in social justice.

lara.b
June 29, 2014 at 6:03 pm

No puedo morir sin conocerlo…i love Prince

Deborah Nava
June 29, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Loved this piece. Love how nice Prince treated Apples after all these years. He’s just such a really cool guy… always. I love that about him. Besides how almost freakishly talented he is 2 the point that he has 2 keep his fans – just a little bit at bay. He still finds ways of showing his fans that he loves us. I personally wouldn’t know how other Icons treats their fans, I only know my experiences with this enigmatic person. He always gives of himself 2 his fans and we get 2 see these wondrous little glimpses of his ‘real ness’. It makes ‘us’ love him even more, if that’s even possible.

Kou
June 30, 2014 at 1:46 am

Just so you know, it’s spelled “to” when used in that context.

Carl “C Roc” Booker
June 29, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Love GOD, believe in yourself,and reach for the stars…and all things are possible. Dig this movie

Carl “C Roc” Booker
June 29, 2014 at 3:50 pm

This movie experience, taught me dream big…

limami
June 29, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I wish I wish I wish…I could meet him. I have loved his music forever.

Leah
June 29, 2014 at 1:31 pm

He hosted a private show on the actually anniversary last Wednesday with reporter Andrea Swensson: http://blog.thecurrent.org/2014/06/prince-and-3rdeyegirl-share-new-music-at-late-night-paisley-park-rendezvous/