Robert Plant fires back at Jimmy Page over Led Zeppelin reunion criticism

on June 05, 2014, 11:06am

With the reissuing of Led Zeppelin’s first three studio albums came the inevitable question: does the band have any further plans for a reunion? Frontman Robert Plant was the first to offer an answer and dismissed the idea outright, saying, “I’m not part of a jukebox!” However, Plant’s latest stance rubbed guitarist Jimmy Page the wrong way, especially since Plant previously expressed a willingness for further reunion shows in 2014. Page said he was “fed up” with Plant, explaining, “Everyone would love to play more concerts for the band. He’s just playing games, and I’m fed up with it, to be honest with you. I don’t sing, so I can’t do much about it.”

Now, Plant has responded to Page’s criticism, saying his former bandmate needed to “have a good rest.” During a recent press conference (via The National), Plant said: “I think he needs to go to sleep and have a good rest, and think again. We have a great history together and like all brothers, we have these moments where we don’t speak on the same page but that’s life.”

(Read: Dissected: Led Zeppelin)

Plant is currently touring the globe with his latest project, The Sensational Space Shifters, and is prepping a new solo album for September. Page, meanwhile, has been working on his own solo material.

Of course, Led Zeppelin is still alive and well here on Consequence of Sound. All this week, we’re celebrating the band’s enduring legacy with a series of articles: so far, we’ve reviewed the reissues of both Led Zeppelin I and II, dissected the band’s entire discography, and showed the striking similarities between Zeppelin and Kurt Vile. Even more is coming soon.

Jon N
July 4, 2014 at 12:32 am

Hey Robert- about the jukebox thing. Thousands and thousands of loyal fans out there would sacrifice a valuable paired organ to hear you and the guys play their old tunes live. What if you looked at it this way -” Well, I am a bit tired of these things, but my fans, the ones who bought my old records and made me famous (and rich) would be SO happy” ……. get a small army of scary security guards and you will be fine…….

June 29, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I wish you bacing together Robert Plant and Jimmi Page is still the best in the world Rob ert you song and voice is the best its really taching
the best band ever. I still lisening and wotching evry day I hope you back together even if you singing the same song.Thanks for celebrati
DVD It isbeautifull.MAMZA from
Leeds.

June 6, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Get David Coverdale to fill in and do a Zeppelin tour. I love Plant but if he’s not interested I’d still like to see Page in action.

Joe Cranford (@jodeo)
June 6, 2014 at 10:30 am

Anyone following Plant’s tours over the past 10+ years know that he is, in effect a traveling jukebox. Three of his last four albums have been predominantly covers (Dreamland, Raising Sand, and Band of Joy). And he constantly works in re-worked Led Zep songs in his sets, giving them fresh, if not curious, arrangements. He’s doing a marvelous job with it all as are his collaborators, but he appears to have placed originality on hold for now. I suppose as long as he’s happy and “not bored,” good for him. By most accounts he is an approachable man, not caught up in himself or insecurities, suggesting he is really comfortable and confident in all that he’s been up to.

Meanwhile, Page hasn’t released much of anything since his reunion with Plant in the 1990s and sitting in with The Black Crows on tour (I’m straining to avoid mentioning that other collaboration). He’s become this sort of curator of the Led Zeppelin Museum, resorting now to dolling out outtakes from their early records! Such an amazing talent that has resorted to who knows what all this time when he’s had plenty of opportunities to craft new music and find collaborators. He demonstrated he still has it — at least until 5 years ago. Anyway, all he had to do last year was call his old band mates, something he has a poor history of doing.

And speaking of John Paul Jones, he has stayed busy like Plant, just in smaller stages with fewer spot lights and more intimate croweds. Good for him. He’s had some very decent, forward-thinking solo efforts along the way. (I couldn’t help but smile when he wound up with Them Crooked Vultures, churning out solid hard rock as Plant drifted from rock into the space JPJ has occupied for much of the past 15 years — acoustic-driven, Americana-influenced music. Even Plant acknowledged that and, hopefully, with a sense of admiration.)

Plant stated in the 1980s song “Liar’s Dance” that “We won’t be back again,” dismissing the constant bids back then to regroup. All these years most of us held Plant responsible for a lack of a Led Zep reunion and perhaps rightly so. But in these more recent years — at least since O2, I think he’s softened his stance and gave Page and JPJ an opening. They’ve passed, perhaps moved on for good.

And indeed, Led Zeppelin as a whole needs a good, enduring rest.

Augie Augenstein
June 6, 2014 at 9:41 am

When Plant said he was free in 2014 I think he wanted Page and Jones to come with some new material and he would listen. Jason Bonham said a song he used with Black Country Communion was written during the Led Zeppelin reunion concert for the O2 shows. Why Plant would not write some as well is a mystery. Hard to believe that Page, Jones,and Bonham wanted to go to Robert with some new tunes. Ten Years After’s Alvin Lee said the same “Jukebox ” thing after Ten Years After broke up when asked about a reunion of the band, “Lee said I do not want to be a traveling jukebox.” I know Plant said if they did a reunion he wanted to push the Zeppelin musical boundary’s and not be a traveling jukebox. So all of them just write some new stuff and share it with each other. Come on guys!!!

June 5, 2014 at 4:01 pm

It’s the SENATIONAL space shifters

June 5, 2014 at 11:23 am

the headline is pretty misleading clickbait