Jack White covers Lorde’s “Royals”, and your head just exploded

on July 22, 2014, 3:51pm

Photo by David James Swanson / JackWhiteIII.com

No one artist has played more covers in 2014 than Jack White. Since hitting the road behind his new solo album, Lazaretto, White has tried his hand at everyone from Kanye West and Jay Z to Metallica and Talking Heads. Meanwhile, no one song has been covered more over the last year than Lorde’s “Royals”. Nirvana’s Krist NovoselicMayer Hawthrone, even Bruce Springsteen have all offered their own interpertations of the New Zealand pop star’s chart-topping single.

Now, at last, Jack White has taken a swing at “Royals”, performing a brief rock ‘n’ roll rendition of the track during his show in Milwaukee on Monday night. It came during the show’s encore, in between performances of “Steady, As She Goes” and “Suzy Lee”. And by the looks of it, he’s even got Lorde’s hand gestures down. Watch fan-shot video below.

Setlist:
Icky Thump (The White Stripes song)
Astro (The White Stripes song)
Just One Drink
Lazaretto
High Ball Stepper
Temporary Ground
Hotel Yorba (The White Stripes song)
Would You Fight for My Love?
Three Women
Cannon (The White Stripes song)
Alone in My Home
Weep Themselves to Sleep
You Know That I Know (Hank Williams cover)
I Cut Like a Buffalo (The Dead Weather song)
Top Yourself (The Raconteurs song)
Missing Pieces
Sixteen Saltines

Encore:
Fell in Love With a Girl (The White Stripes song)
Steady, As She Goes (The Raconteurs song)
Royals (Lorde cover)
Suzy Lee (The White Stripes song)
Catch Hell Blues (The White Stripes song)
Ball and Biscuit (The White Stripes song)
Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes song)

auramac
July 22, 2014 at 9:27 pm

My head didn’t explode. And no, I hardly heard anything- did heads explode after the entire performance? A waste of time, yes- but the ugly viciousness in the comments are uncalled for. Of course this was a misleading headline and barely a snippet of a very low-fi (how appropriate) video. Come on, though- does it really mean that much to y’all?….. Chill!

Waffles
July 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

You should be ashamed of the complete and total superfan piece of shit this article is. Firstly, how the fuck could anyone form a concrete opinion of the quality of performance based on this video? Secondly, you loathsome fuck, at what point was my head supposed to explode? It’s as though the mere thought of an ‘immortal’ rock n’ roller stooping down to cover songs by other, less established, artist is just amazing to you. Here’s the reality: covering pop songs is a gimmick established artist use to fill out set lists, so that minimal new product is required. play some old hits, cover some pop shit, and sneak in some of the half assed new shit you’ve created since making your millions. if your goal in journalism is to fellate mid-grade talent with indy cred, big ups brah, mission accomplished. Otherwise, thanks for yet another reason to hate the internet, you empty headed keyboard monkey.

Best Wishes,
Waffles

M. Pah (@mpah)
July 22, 2014 at 9:21 pm

why did you wish the author ‘best wishes’ after vomiting all that rage on to your keyboard?!

BoneR
July 23, 2014 at 12:03 am

Do you even lift bro?

July 23, 2014 at 7:03 pm

It’s called……wait for it……passive aggressive sarcasm

Discogs
July 22, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Doing some fact checking and I’d like to point out somethings that are wrong in the story:

“No one artist has played more covers in 2014 than Jack White.”

Pennywise…until Jack White has done as many covers as Pennywise has done since 1990 then he will not get to wear this crown. I’ve seen them 3 or 4 times and they have always included a couple of covers and never have I heard the same cover twice. Their “Hey Ya” cover was my favorite.

And this is super modern stuff…back in the early days of American recorded music and concerts very rarely did artists perform their own material. Almost everything was written by someone else and sometimes the songs they were performing had been recorded by someone else. It is a guarantee that Elvis has done more covers than Jack White. Hell, I bet that Big Mama Thornton has had her songs covered in total more times than Jack White has covered others.

So, when writing an article on a Jack White cover, please try to speak truthfully and not embellish just for the sake of entertainment…As a music website you should at least make an effort to put out truthful and non-embellished articles about music.

July 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm

The author of this article clearly states that jack white has done more covers IN 2014 than anyone else. Not since 1990, like pennywise.

recordbazaar
July 22, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Oh…it does say 2014. I could go out on a limb and bet that Pennywise has Jack White beat for 2014 as well. Although, if you go by Josh Homme’s opinion all of those White Stripes, Raconteurs, and Dead Weather songs are covers as well, making be a giant imbecile.

Gord
July 22, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Yup, that horrible nine second “video” made my head explode alright. You owe me a new head, CoS.

July 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I was front row and it was so awesome

July 22, 2014 at 4:12 pm

If only that video wasn’t so heinous. I’m sure it sounded good live

faeriesmak
July 23, 2014 at 10:00 pm

It sounded amazing love…I was there.