Jack White delivers scorching 38-song, three-hour set at Detroit’s Masonic Temple

on July 31, 2014, 10:05am

Photo by David James Swanson / JackWhiteIII.com

On Wednesday night, Jack White played the second of a two-night stand in his hometown of Detroit. After waging war against the Fox Theater and its plush seats, White took to the much more friendly confines of the Masonic Temple. If you’re up on your Third Man history, Masonic Temple is the venue White saved from foreclosure last year by paying off its $140,000+ in back taxes. In light of his actions, the Masonic Temple Association renamed its Cathedral Theater to the ‘Jack White Theater.’ Ed. Note: White did not actually play in Jack White Theater, but rather Masonic Temple. The Jack White Theater is a smaller venue inside Masonic.

White delivered a scorching 38-song, three-hour performance that included virtually every White Stripes song you’d want to hear, including the tour debuts of “The Big Three Killed My Baby” and “Apple Blossom”, along with rarely played songs like “I Fought Piranhas” and “Screwdriver”.

The set also included an appearance from Dead Weather bandmates Alison Mosshart and Dean Fertita, who accompanied him on “I Cut Like a Buffalo”. He also briefly covered Led Zeppelin’s “Lemon Song” during his performance of “Ball and Biscuit”.

See the full setlist and fan-shot video below.

“I Cut Like a Buffalo” w/ The Dead Weather:

“The Same Boy You’ve Always Known”:

“Ball and Biscuit” / “The Lemon Song”:

Setlist:
Fell in Love With a Girl (The White Stripes song)
Astro (The White Stripes song)
The Big Three Killed My Baby (The White Stripes song)
High Ball Stepper
Lazaretto
Missing Pieces
Just One Drink
Hotel Yorba (The White Stripes song)
You Know That I Know (Hank Williams cover)
Love Interruption
Weep Themselves to Sleep
I Cut Like a Buffalo (The Dead Weather song) (with The Dead Weather)
Cannon (The White Stripes song)
Icky Thump (The White Stripes song)
Screwdriver (The White Stripes song)
Ramblin’ Man (Hank Williams cover)
Apple Blossom (The White Stripes song)
Three Women
The Same Boy You’ve Always Known (The White Stripes song)
We’re Going to Be Friends (The White Stripes song)
Sugar Never Tasted So Good (The White Stripes song)
Entitlement
Alone in My Home
Steady, As She Goes (The Raconteurs song)
Ball and Biscuit (The White Stripes song) / Got My Mojo Workin’ (Muddy Waters cover) / The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin cover)

Encore:
The Hardest Button to Button (The White Stripes song)
Sixteen Saltines / Devil’s Haircut (Beck cover)
Hypocritical Kiss
That Black Bat Licorice
Would You Fight for My Love?
Blue Blood Blues (The Dead Weather song)
You Don’t Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You’re Told) (The White Stripes song)
My Doorbell (The White Stripes song)
I Fought Piranhas (The White Stripes song)
Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes song)

tom
August 1, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Phish has been doing 3 hour shows for 20+ years.

Zzz zzz. ..

macfadyeneric
August 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm

That is what I would do at a Phish show.

Zzz zzz. ..

Jim Christmas
August 1, 2014 at 2:36 pm

And that’s why you’re an idiot.

Rick Zoellner
July 31, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Jack White did NOT play The Jack White Theatre (1,586 capacity) last night. He played the Masonic Temple Theatre (4,404 capacity).

The newly re-named Jack White Theatre is in the same building but that’s not the room he blew the roof off last night.

Clint Cross
July 31, 2014 at 3:04 pm

You’d think after all the incorrect info on the Fox show he would have tried a bit harder hear.

John Nesiba
July 31, 2014 at 11:01 pm

COS doesn’t fact check. They like errors. Leads to more clicks which means more advertising money.

rick
July 31, 2014 at 10:32 am

you might as well rename this site “jack white presents: consequence of sound”. It feels more like a White fanboy site then anything else these days.

Steve
July 31, 2014 at 12:14 pm

It’s a music site, and his live show is the best thing going in music right now. Maybe you should stay on EDM.org

Robert Palmer Plore (@R_PalmerPlore)
July 31, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Action Bronson rapping in a plastic shitter is better than Casper the Friendly Whino. Give me a break.

wooklord
July 31, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Yes I’m sure that’s better than Jack White playing to a sold-out crowd at the Masonic (otherwise known as the Jack White Theatre, which the White Stripes destroyed on several occasions) in his hometown (AKA Motown or Detroit Rock City.)

Jealousy is a bitch, huh?

I was there. Where were you?

July 31, 2014 at 10:27 am

He often does “Lemon song” with ball and biscuit. Sounds like a real barn burner though, seeing him in august keep up the marathon sets Jack!

We’ve Been There Before
July 31, 2014 at 10:12 am

Most amazing show of my life. The floor was shaking when he came on. The ONLY thing that could have made it better would’ve been an encore set with Meg. I’m ruined for any future show…absolutely amazing.

I’ll have my own review later today of the concert with pictures and videos at http://www.wevebeentherebefore.com.

July 31, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Amazing show!!!
The Jack White Theatre is actually the old Scottish Rite Theatre inside the Masonic Temple. He played the Masonic Temple Theatre, which is far larger.
Once in a lifetime show!

July 31, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Didn’t see the previous comment explaining this.