Photo by Philip Cosores
This Friday, September 23rd, marks the release of The Healing Component, the long-awaited debut album from Mick Jenkins. Spanning 15 tracks, the collection follows the Chicago rapper’s acclaimed Wave[s] EP last summer.
Already we’ve heard a pair of LP tracks, the BadBadNotGood collaboration “Drowning” and lead single “Spread Love”. This week, he returns with “Fall Through”, co-produced by Kaytranada and Joey Purp affiliate THEMPeople. “Don’t you feel the soul?” Jenkins posits during the pensive hook. “All the things you know, do you know yourself?/ Well enough to trust the way you go?”
In a brief interview on Beats 1, where the track premiered this afternoon, Jenkins told Zane Lowe that, though he’s got bars for days, he’s been working “on the more melodic aspects of songs” — something he says began with Wave[s]. He also noted that he’s already started thinking about his next album; it will also be focused on “love as the healing component” but will see a shift in direction compared to his debut.
Listen to “Fall Through” and a portion of that interview below.
The Healing Component Tracklist:
02. Spread Love
03. Daniel’s Bloom
04. Strange Love
05. This Type Love? (interlude)
06. Drowning (feat. BadBadNotGood)
07. As Seen in Bethsaida (feat. theMIND)
08. Communicate (feat. Ravyn Lenae)
10. 1000 Xanx (feat. theMIND)
11. Prosperity (feat. theMIND)
12. Fall Through
13. Love, Robert Horry (feat. jSTOCK)
14. Angels (feat. Noname & Xavier Omar)
15. Fucked Up Outro (feat. Michael Anthony)