Earlier this year, Matthew E. White hit the studio with Natalie Prass to record a song called “Cool Out”. The CoSigned singer-songwriter has another collaborative project on the way, a covers album with British musician Flo Morrissey. Titled Gentlewoman, Ruby Man, it features updated takes on a diverse group of artists, such as Leonard Cohen, Frank Ocean, the Bee Gees, and James Blake.
Ahead of the album’s January 13th release date, the two artists have shared their rendition of “Look At What The Light Did”, originally done by Woodsist indie rocker Kyle Field, aka Little Wings. A warmer, more robust reimagining, it’s uplifted by rolling guitars and their vocals, which though different, make for a harmonious listen.
Check it out below, followed by a video on how Gentlewoman came to fruition.
Gentlewoman, Ruby Man Tracklist:
01. Look At What The Light Did (Little Wings cover)
02. Thinking ‘Bout You (Frank Ocean cover)
03. Looking For You (Nino Ferrer cover)
04. Colour of Anything (James Blake cover)
05. Everybody Loves the Sunshine (Roy Ayers cover)
06. Grease (Bee Gees cover)
07. Suzanne (Leonard Cohen cover)
08. Sunday Morning (Velvet Underground cover)
09. Heaven Can Wait (Charlotte Gainsbourg cover)
10. Govindam (George Harrison cover)