By now, it’s pretty clear we don’t take vacations, let alone days off. Take last week for example. Yes, Consequence of Sound packed our bags and headed down to Austin for South by Southwest, but between the three events we hosted and slew of others we attended (see rest of site), life wasn’t any less chaotic during our fun in the sun. And needless to say, it won’t be anytime soon. So, let’s kick things off and catch up on the goings on that went down while we were gone…
- Billy Corgan has apparently achieved what certainly appears to be his lifelong dream of being the sole original member of the Smashing Pumpkins. Either that or Jimmy Chamberlin doesn’t like doing Super Bowl commercials. Whatever the reason may be, the Pumpkins’ original drummer will not be joining Corgan and Co. when they head into the studio this spring.
- One band still kicking, or at least until Perry Farrell gets bored and starts his next musical venture – we’re thinking children choir, is Jane’s Addiction. The quartet followed its rockin’ and recordin’ set at South by Southwest on Thursday with the release of two brand new, Trent Reznor and Alan Moulder-produced tracks. Get “Chip Away” and “Whores” at Ninja2009.com.
- On June 23rd, Dream Theater will release its tenth studio creation, Black Clouds & Silver Linings. In the meantime, check out the tracklisting and cover art and/or get psyched for the “Progressive Nation” tour.
- When drummer Max Weinberg heads to L.A. later this summer as part of his duties with the Late Show with Conan O’Brien, Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band will be in need of a replacement for their upcoming world tour. The solution? It looks like the band will be keeping it in the family; Weinbergs 19-year-old son Jay Weinberg will be subbing in for his father during the European portion of the world tour.
- Speaking of Mr. Springsteen, on Thursday, he stopped by The Daily Show for an interview and acoustic rendition of “Working on a Dream”. Watch it here.
- The recently reunited Themselves have dropped theFREEhoudini mixtape as a digitial download on Anticon.