Back in January, William Shatner announced he’d be working with Zakk Wylde on an upcoming record of covers entitled Searching For Major Tom. It now turns out that the Black Label Society frontman is just one of many guests, all ready to be beamed up by Captain Kirk.
While detailing each of the 19 track’s power-packed cameos would be difficult to do with brevity, there are a few clear stand-outs. The aforementioned Wylde guests on two cuts: “Major Tom”, alongside The Strokes’ Nick Valensi and Mike Inez from Alice In Chains, and on “Iron Man”. The rest of the album continues to read like a who’s who, including contributions from Brad Paisley (Steve Miller’s “Space Cowboy”), Bootsy Collins (Thomas Dolby’s “She Blinded Me With Science”), The Kink’s Dave Davies (The Byrds’ “Mr. Spaceman”), Peter Frampton (Norman Greenbaum’s “Spirit In The Sky”), plus members of Yes, Deep Purple, and much, much more. Check out the entire tracklist and corresponding guests below.
Searching For Major Tom is scheduled to hit stores sometime in 2011 via Cleopatra Records. As always, stay tuned for more info on the release as it’s announced.
Searching For Major Tom Tracklist:
01. Space Trucking (Deep Purple) – Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice and Johnny Winter on guitar
02. She Blinded Me With Science (Thomas Dolby) – Bootsy Collins on bass and Patrick Moraz (ex-Yes and Moody Blues) on keyboards/synth
03. In a Little While (U2) – Manuel Gottsching from Ash Ra Tempel on guitar
04. Empty Glass (The Tea Party) – Michael Schenker (UFO/Scorpions) on guitar
05. Lost in the Stars (Frank Sinatra version) – Ernie Watts on saxophone
06. Twilight Zone (Golden Earring) – Warren Haynes (Gov’t Mule/Allman Brothers) on guitar
07. Space Cowboy (Steve Miller) – Brad Paisley on guitar and vocals
08. Rocket Man (Elton John) – Steve Hillage (ex-Gong member) on guitar
09. Space Oddity (David Bowie) – Ritchie Blackmore (ex-Deep Purple) on guitar and Alan Parsons on keyboards
10. Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum) – Peter Frampton on guitar
11. Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – John Wetton (Asia) on bass and vocals
12. Silver Machine originally (Hawkwind) – Wayne Kramer (MC5) on guitar and Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge/Rod Stewart) on drums
13. Major Tom (Peter Shilling) – The Strokes’ Nick Valensi and Zakk Wylde on guitar and and Mike Inez (Alice In Chains) on bass
14. Learning to Fly (Pink Floyd) – Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream) on guitar and keyboards
15. Mr. Spaceman (The Byrds) – Dave Davies (The Kinks) on guitar
16. Iron Man (Black Sabbath) – Zakk Wylde on guitar and vocals
17. Planet Earth (Duran Duran) – Steve Howe (Yes) on guitar
18. Walking on the Moon (The Police) – Toots (Toots & the Maytals) on vocals
19. Mrs. Major Tom (female guest vocals TBA)