In this edition of Audiography, we feature reviews of the latest releases by Aesop Rock, JEFF the Brotherhood, and Old Crow Medicine Show. We also feature a conversation between Consequence of Sounds Len Comaratta and Dave Wakeling. As the vocalist and leader of The [English] Beat, Wakeling wrote and sang on classic hits including Mirror in the Bathroom and Save It for Later. After dissolving the Beat in 1983, Wakeling and Beat bandmate Ranking Roger formed the post-punk supergroup General Public.
Recently, in light of Shout Factorys five-disc box set, we caught up with Wakeling to discuss the new collection, a possible General Public compilation in the near future, the early days of The Beat, and why he was into ska and not punk. Other topics include Wakelings contributions to John Hughes films, including Ferris Buellers Day Off and Shes Having a Baby, and recording an album using nothing but solar power.
01. Old Crow Medicine Show – Mississippi Saturday Night (excerpt), “Levi” (excerpt)
02. JEFF the Brotherhood – Mystic Portal II (excerpt), Staring at the Wall (excerpt)
03. Aesop Rock – “Racing Stripes” (excerpt), “Zero Dark Thirty” (excerpt), “Gopher Guts” (excerpt)
04. English Beat Tears of a Clown
05. Pete Townsend Save It For Later
06. Dave Wakeling Shes Having a Baby
07. English Beat March of the Swivelheads (bed)
08. General Public Taking the Day Off
09. General Public Tenderness
Audiography Episode 047 ”Dave Wakeling (of English Beat and General Public)”
Written and Produced by Len Comaratta, Alex Young, Adam Kivel, Caitlin Meyer, Nick Freed
Are you enjoying Audiography? Subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes!