Canada’s beloved indie label Arts & Crafts is celebrating 10 glorious years with a special compilation record, X. The collection brings together bands from the label’s roster for original compositions, like the just-released Broken Social Scene/Years collaboration “Day of the Kid”, plus covers of songs from Arts & Crafts’ past.
In the latter category, Ra Ra Riot and The Darcys team up to tackle “Time Can Be Overcome” by Constantines. Taken from the band’s one A&C release (incidentally their last before taking a break), Kensington Heights, the original is a sparse alt-country leaning ditty with scratchy, gruff vocals. The cover flips the script a bit, flushing out the sound with Riot-ous strings and quickening drums, while the vocals are delivered in steadier, smoother breaths. Listen in below.
Arts & Crafts: X will be available May 28th on LP, CD, and digital formats.
Arts & Crafts: X Tracklist:
01. Broken Social Scene x Years – “Day of the Kid”
02. Apostle of Hustle x Zeus – “Bizarre Love Triangle”
03. Feist x Timber Timbre – “Homage”
04. Still Life Still x Zulu Winter – “Era”
05. The Hidden Cameras x Snowblink – “The Chauffer”
06. The Darcys x Ra Ra Riot – “Time Can Be Overcome”
07. Chilly Gonzales x Stars – “Nothing Good Comes to Those Who Wait”
08. Hayden x Jason Collet – “Lonely is as Lonely Does”
09. Gold & Youth x Trust – “Lady Bird”
10. Amy Millan x Dan Mangan – “Chances Are”