Film
THE BEST FILMS IN ACTION, DRAMA, HORROR, AND MORE
EXPERTLY CURATED BY THE COS STAFF

Unnecessary sequel to Sicario in the works (spoilers, kinda)

on September 21, 2015, 10:33pm

Odds are you still haven’t seen Sicario. Probably because Denis Villeneuve’s exceptional crime thriller opened to just six screens last weekend. Still, that didn’t stop the film from scoring the highest per screen average of 2015 so far, nabbing $401,288 for an average of $66,881 per screen. Naturally, that little feat put a big ol’ smile on the faces of those running Lionsgate.

Enough that they’re interested in conceptualizing an unnecessary sequel, which would turn the spotlight on del Toro’s mysterious hitman, Alejandro. “Before the release of this movie, I was talking to Denis and I said what happened to this character?” said Patrick Wachsberger, co-chairman of Liongate’s motion picture group. “Where is Benicio going?”

As Variety reports, screenwriter Taylor Sheridan, who delivered one hell of a rookie debut with the original screenplay, will oversee the project and Villenueve will also be involved — though, it’s unclear whether he’ll return to the director’s chair. The good news (?) is that Black Label Media will once again toss out the dough.

In the meantime, Sicario will continue to open wide in the coming weeks amidst mounting Oscar buzz. Trust us, it’s deserved.

No comments