DMX, the rumbling-voiced hip-hop star known for boisterous hits like “Party Up (Up in Here)” and “X Gon’ Give it to Ya”, was clinically dead on Monday evening. According to TMZ, X was found unconscious by police officers outside a Yonkers Ramada Inn around 6:00 pm. When the police arrived, the rapper wasn’t breathing and had no pulse.
Thankfully, officers were able to revive DMX with CPR. After being told by witnesses that he had “ingested some sort of powder” prior to falling unconscious, the cops administered Narcan, an antidote used to counteract narcotic overdoses. X returned to what was called a “semi-conscious state” and immediately transported to a local hospital, where he currently remains in stable condition.
Despite the witnesses’ report and the use of Narcan, both DMX and his family deny that the situation was tied to drugs. DMX claims to have suffered bronchitis a few days prior, saying he remembers feeling a shortness of breath before passing out. A family member told TMZ that the rapper was calling for his asthma inhaler, but was unable to get it in time.
However, DMX has a long history of battling addiction, and initial reports seem to point to this being a drug overdose. Charges aren’t expected either way, and whatever actually happened, X, his family, and his fans should be thankful for the NYPD literally bringing him back to life.