Good news, everyone: Our current Commander-In-Chief is a righteous nerd. Bad news: He could be replaced by this fucking spazoid. For now, though, let’s focus on the present because, as President Barack Obama recently proclaimed in an op-ed for Wired, the present is not too shabby. Not too shabby at all.
For their November issue, the publication tapped Obama as a guest-editor, and in addition to the aforementioned editorial, he’s also shared his list of must-see sci-fi films and television shows. Considering he also penned an essay this week for CNN about reaching Mars, we’re not surprised to see The Martian on his list.
Anyways, take a look below and continue to relish the last days of The Greatest.
01. 2001: A Space Odyssey because “it captures the grandeur and scale of the unknown.”
02. Blade Runner because “it asks what it means to be human.”
03. Close Encounters of the Third Kind because “it is fundamentally optimistic.”
04. Star Wars because “it was fun and revolutionized special effects.”
05. The original Star Trek series because “it uses science fiction to promote a humanist ethic.”
06. The Martian because “it shows humans at problem solvers.”
07. The Matrix because “it asks basic questions about our reality—and looks very cool.”
08. Cosmos because “it fed my lifelong fascination with space.”