CoSigned indie rocker Matthew E. White and UK singer-songwriter Flo Morrissey have combined forces for a new covers album titled Gentlewoman, Ruby Man. The 10-track collection, due out January 13th, sees the two musicians tackling a variety of artists, old and new, such as Frank Ocean, Leonard Cohen, and James Blake.
Following their covers of Little Wings (“Look At What The Light Did”) and the Bee Gees (“Grease”), White and Morrissey are sinking their teeth into the catalog of The Velvet Underground this week. Specifically, they’re putting their own spin on “Sunday Morning”, taken from the 1967 debut album, The Velvet Underground & Nico. Their updated rendition retains some of Lou Reed’s original fuzzy, feel-good vibes, but takes the energy level up a couple notches.
Check it out below, followed by the original version.
Gentlewoman, Ruby Man Tracklist:
01. Look At What The Light Did (Little Wings cover)
02. Thinking ‘Bout You (Frank Ocean cover)
03. Looking For You (Nino Ferrer cover)
04. Colour of Anything (James Blake cover)
05. Everybody Loves the Sunshine (Roy Ayers cover)
06. Grease (Bee Gees cover)
07. Suzanne (Leonard Cohen cover)
08. Sunday Morning (Velvet Underground cover)
09. Heaven Can Wait (Charlotte Gainsbourg cover)
10. Govindam (George Harrison cover)