As Twin Peaks: The Return hurtles towards the last five episodes of this striking, unprecedented new season, fans are wondering just how the hell all of this is going to get tied up. It’s not as if we’re expecting clarity on all fronts—we wouldn’t be David Lynch fans if we did—but if Audrey’s story remains as opaque as it currently is we might have a few problems. So it’s good to know that, should Lynch want to do another season, Showtime is at least open to the idea.
“[T]he door’s always open to David Lynch, whether that would lead to another season, I don’t know if he wants to do it,” Showtime programming president Gary Levine recently told Deadline. “This was a Herculean effort. I’m not sure if any director has ever done 18 hours in a row of a series… It’s remarkable what he achieved, fans are liking it and for me that’s what’s satisfying.”
That said, it’s not really like Lynch to pursue a story once he feels it’s reached its logical conclusion, and considering Twin Peaks: The Return was always intended to be an 18-hour movie and not a TV series it’s unlikely that he’d do it.
Showtime president and CEO David Nevins agreed. “A lot of people are speculating but there’s been zero contemplation, zero discussions other than fans asking me about it.”
But how nice would it be to have a whole season of the Dale Cooper we know and love, rather than the frustrating, if amusing, specter of Dougie Jones?
While we wait for answers, read our weekly recaps of Twin Peaks written by Kelly McClure.
- The Bridge Between Simon & Garfunkel and Beyoncé
- Ozzy Osbourne and Post Malone Unleash New Collaborative Song "It's a Raid": Stream
- The Contortionist Unveil Video for Passionate Cover of Smashing Pumpkins' "1979": Stream
- Album Review: Tame Impala's The Slow Rush Fuses Elements into a Beautiful Collage
- Lana Del Rey Cancels European Tour Dates Due to Illness
- Louis C.K. Announces Stand-Up Comedy Tour
- R.I.P. Jason Davis, Voice of Mikey on Recess Dies at 35
- Kevin Smith's He-Man Reboot Casts Mark Hamill as Skeletor, Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops
- Steven Spielberg's Daughter Mikaela Launches Porn Career
- Ozzy Osbourne Cancels 2020 North American Tour, Seeks Medical Treatments
- Foo Fighters Announce 25th Anniversary Tour
- Universal Confirms Nirvana, Soundgarden, R.E.M. Masters Damaged or Destroyed In 2008 Fire