Kevin Shields has spent most of 2018 teasing the imminent release of two My Bloody Valentine EPs — one that was scheduled to drop over the summer (but never did), and a second slated for next spring. The self-described “sprawling” projects were to serve as a precursor to a proper album. However, now it seems Shields has switched up those plans substantially: Instead of two EPs, they’re now prepping two new albums, and they’re both coming relatively soon.
The frontman revealed the titillating news during an interview filmed at Japan’s Super Sonic Festival in August. Speaking on the planned summer EP that never came to fruition, he said: “We’re trying to finish a short album of material… it was going to be an EP in the summer, but we decided not to and decided to make it longer.” Shields added, “So it will be seven tracks or eight tracks, hopefully will be finished in the end of November .”
As if that weren’t enough to get MBV fans on their feet, he then proceeded to spill the details on a second album. “We’ll also be recording new material next year,” Shields continued. “There will be a lot of new material coming in the next… in the next year, there will be about two new records.”
It’s hard to know how well they’ll stick to this timeline — after all, it took a solid 22 years before we finally got 2013’s excellent m b v album — but it seems the band is actively working on new stuff and hitting the studio with some regularity. MBV also made their live comeback this summer, where they debuted new material, so things are certainly in motion.
Watch that interview below.
Kevin Shields interview from August 2018; EP is now an album, *maybe* finished in November. from r/indieheads
In related news, Shields and Brian Eno have let loose a new song called “The Weight of History”. The collaboration was originally only available as a Record Store Day exclusive — coupled with their previously released “Only Once Away My Son” — but has now officially hit streaming platforms. Take a listen below.
- Top 100 Films of the 2010s
- Bruce Springsteen plays surprise two-hour concert at The Stone Pony: Setlist + Video
- Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck call for release of Zack Snyder's Justice League cut
- My Chemical Romance begin rehearsals for reunion tour
- Trump sycophant Jon Voight to receive National Medal of the Arts
- Lakeith Stanfield releases Charlamagne tha God diss track "Automatic": Stream
- Josh Homme and Brody Dalle are separating
- Hall and Oates announce 2020 tour dates
- Top 25 Metal Songs of the 2010s
- Awkward mosh pit breaks out during Marilyn Manson's gig at Astroworld Fest
- The Motorola Razr is back, baby
- Kacey Musgraves and Willie Nelson cover The Muppets' "Rainbow Connection" at 2019 CMA Awards: Watch