Last year, Ticketmaster and LiveNation invested in a former military facial recognition company, with the hope that the technology could be used to both strengthen and speed up event entry. If that prospect thoroughly creeps you out, here’s a simple life-hack to defeat Big Brother: become a Juggalo. In a revelation that is sure to freak out the FBI, Insane Clown Posse’s passionate fan base have unintentionally unlocked the secret to thwarting facial recognition.
It turns out that Juggalos face makeup cannot be accurately read by many facial recognition technologies. Most common programs identify areas of contrast — like those around the eyes, nose, and chin — and then compare those points to images within a database. The black bands frequently used in Juggalo makeup obscure the mouth and cover the chin, totally redefining a person’s key features.
As Twitter use @tahkion points out (via Yahoo!), the black-on-white face paint tricks most facial recognition into incorrectly reading a person’s jawline and, presumably, eye area. They broke down the basic results in a pair of tweets:
Unfortunately, the Faygo-loving clan are not totally safe from all facial recognition technology. While most common software uses areas of light contrast to register identifying features, Apple’s Face ID instead uses depth perception. Since makeup only changes the apparent shape of your chin and not the depth of your dimples, Apple’s facial recognition renders the Juggalo makeup workaround useless. But at least you’ll be able to sneak past LiveNation’s facial scanning.
- Robert Downey Jr. voicing Iron Man in Disney+'s What If…?, says Jeff Goldlbum
- Kelly Osbourne: We're the "closest we've ever come" to reviving The Osbournes TV show
- Clive Owen to play Bill Clinton in FX show Impeachment: American Crime Story
- Win The Beatles' Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Ugly Christmas Sweater
- Q-Tip, Idris Elba, and Little Simz join James BKS on new song "New Breed": Stream
- AJR announce 2020 North American tour
- Top 100 Songs of the 2010s
- Awkward mosh pit breaks out during Marilyn Manson's gig at Astroworld Fest
- Top 25 Metal Albums of the 2010s
- Trent Reznor wins CMA Award for "Old Town Road"
- Kacey Musgraves and Willie Nelson cover The Muppets' "Rainbow Connection" at 2019 CMA Awards: Watch
- Brian Setzer diagnosed with severe tinnitus, cancels holiday tour